Healers and midwives from around the world have used steams for centuries. Vaginal steams are very effective treatment and are indicated for many common female issues and complaints.
In our day and age, many women have poor circulation leading to cold, stagnation in the pelvis which can cause a plethora of dis-eases or pathology in the female reproductive system and digestive system.
Vaginal steaming is, sitting over herbal infused water that has been heated - the medicinal steam dances around the pelvic floor and yoni. This supports the awakening of the spiritual womb space as well as increasing circulation to the whole of the pelvis and physical womb and portal to the cervix - Vaginal tissue is one of the most absorbent of the entire female body so Yoni steams are very supportive to women’s health.
Vaginal Steaming can support many common female concerns including; trauma, post surgery, painful menstruation, fibroids, cervical polyps, chronic infection, numbness, lack of orgasm, constipation, PCOS, postpartum, post miscarriage, post DNC, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, painful ovulation, hormonal imbalances and is used to promote fertility and harmonize the menstrual cycle.
Yoni Steams are a beautiful simple Radical Self LOVE modality to include in your self care regime.
- Dark Blood at the beginning or end of the Menstrual Cycle
- Postpartum and Post Miscarriage or Post DNC
- Menstrual Complaints & Irregular Cycles
- Pelvic MuscleTension, Pelvic Pain
- Uterine Prolapse
- Dysmenorrhea, Amenorrhea
- Hemorrhoids, Constipation
- Numbness, Anorgasmic
- Disconnection from the womb
- Cold/Damp stagnation
- Fibroids, Ovarian Cysts, PCOS
- Uterine Prolapse
- Vaginal Dryness
- Fertility, Infertility, Conception Preparation
DON’T STEAM WHEN
- During Pregnancy
- During Menstruation
- If you currently have a herpes outbreak
Use Caution When
- You have had surgery - Wait 6 weeks
- Postpartum - 6 Weeks
- You think you may have conceived
STEAM APPLICATION …
- For Preventative Care - Cycle Regulation
- Steam 2x the week week before you start bleeding.
- 10-15 min. Per Steam
- If you have a shorter cycle use stimulating and healing herbs.
- If you have a longer cycle use balancing herbs.
- For cysts, prolapse, pelvic pain, fibroids, endometriosis
- Steam: 2 – 4 x per week
- 10 min per steam
- Use cleansing + detoxing + healing herbs.
- PostPartum, Post DNC or Miscarriage
- After 6 weeks - Steam 2x a week for 3 weeks
- 10-15 min. Per Steam.
- Use tonifying + healing herbs.
What changes might I expect?
- You can expect changes in vaginal discharge, and a shift in your menstrual blood quality, color and duration.
- These are normal cleansing reactions and a good sign that your womb is cleansing.
Commonly Used Herbs:
- For general cycle support - use herbs that have an affinity for the urinary and reproductive organs; Red Raspberry Leaf, Juniper, Motherwort.
- Herbs that contain volatile oils are going to be more cleansing or stimulating such as; Basil, Oregano, Lavender, Rosemary, Marigold, Garden Sage, Peppermint and Lemon Balm.
- Herbs that are astringent or tonifying are ; Witch Hazel, Yarrow, Cedar Berries, Rose and Juniper.
- Traditional herbs the Maya use are Oregano, Basil, Marigold, Rosemary, Chamomile, Damiana, Plantain, Yarrow.
** DO NOT use essential oils in your steam, this is because they may burn the delicate tissues of the genitals.
How to Set Up & Prepare your Steam
- Choose your formula -
- It is preferable to use dried herbs.
- The typical ratio is 1.5 Cup of Dry Herb to 1 Gallon of Water.
- Place herbs in a gallon of water.
- You can leave this out in the moonlight overnight to support hormonal balance and to reharmonize your cycle with the moon.
- The following day, bring the water to a gentle simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- OR - Bring the water to a gentle simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Set up your steam space; turn off your phone, put music on if you’d like, or grab your favorite book, light candles, or make a cup of tea to enjoy while you are steaming. You can listen to our guided Wise Womb Medicine Journey
- Once you are set up place a hot pad on the floor to avoid burning the floor
- Place your steam pot under a slotted chair, step stool with slot, lawn chair or steam stool.
- Remove your clothes from the waist down, leaving your socks on, keeping your upper body warm.
- Sit on your designated seat over the steaming herbs making sure the steam pot is placed underneath the body so the steam gets to the perineum.
- Drape your lower body with blankets that extend all the way to the floor to ensure the steam is contained.
- Be careful not to burn yourself. If necessary, create a small vent to allow excess steam to escape, it should feel pleasant.
- Sit over your steam for about 10-15 min. depending on how long the steam lasts.
- When you are done, dry yourself off well.
- Rest quietly after the steam in a warm room, free of drafts, open windows or air conditioning, for at least 10 minutes.
- When you get up, dress warmly and protect yourself from cold drafts or sudden temperature changes for 24 hours.
- Release the herbs and water back to the earth – giving thanks for their support in your healing.
If you have more questions refer to my video on with Olivia on Steaming and as well as our how to video! (LINK HERE?)